Remove product buildup
If you’re using products on your hair—everyday shampoo and conditioner, hair sprays and gels, mousses and foams—some small residue from such products remains on your scalp and hair, leaving strands to look dull and lifeless. “One of the easiest and cheapest ways to get rid of this [residue] accumulation and restore life to your locks is by using apple cider vinegar,” says Felix Fischer, an NYC-based celebrity hairstylist.
Juliene Featherman, hairstylist and owner of juju salon & organics in Philadelphia, PA, recommends this DIY apple cider vinegar tonic to customers:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups warm water
1. Combine apple cider vinegar and water in an old shampoo bottle.
2. Shake to combine.
3. Shampoo hair as you normally would.
4. Towel dry your hair, then apply the apple cider vinegar tonic throughout your hair from roots to ends.
5. Let sit for a few minutes.
6. Rinse thoroughly and condition.